Washington, DC - December 12, 2023
The new Stratus IQ+™ electricity meter from Sensus, a Xylem brand, is taking the grid to next-level smart.
Its powerful processor and expanded data set options allow utilities to pull more system diagnostics than ever before, giving them a robust health check of their distribution system and heightened awareness of customer electricity usage.
“Our utility customers continue to embrace the value of data for greater operational resilience and increased customer engagement,” said Mike McGann, senior vice president and president, Xylem Americas, Measurement and Control Solutions. “Further, emerging grid requirements—including electric vehicle support—demand a new level of distribution system management, which this technology can help enable.”
The Stratus IQ+ combines grid intelligence and precise energy measurement into one powerful package. The meter monitors energy consumption in near-real time, and advanced functionalities allow for data to be recorded, transmitted and received with only a keystroke. This smart meter provides commercial and industrial (C&I) strength capabilities in a residential meter, resulting in improved communication and faster delivery of more data.
The growing needs of the electric vehicle (EV) market are also being met in the Stratus IQ+ through its battery EV-based detection. Artificial intelligence (AI) algorithms can extract battery EV charging data in a matter of seconds through edge computing. The Stratus IQ+ has the speed and processing power to capture this consumption so utilities can better plan for capacity and off-peak incentive program management.
Adapt to change
Additional key features of the Stratus IQ+ include:
- Customizable applications to enhance grid edge capabilities
- Expansion card slot for future computing capacity with the Sensus FlexNet® communication network or alternate communications such as cellular, Wi-Fi or both
- A rugged design that improves protection against weather, rough handling, theft or tampering
- “Software-defined metrology” features that help utilities improve efficiency, cost savings and safety
Learn more about how the Stratus IQ+ improves utility management and grid edge performance.
- The new Stratus IQ+ is the next-generation residential meter designed to enhance distribution system management for utilities.
- This smart meter provides commercial and industrial strength capabilities in a residential meter, resulting in improved communication and faster delivery of more data including Battery Electric Vehicle Detection.
- The Stratus IQ+ will offer application support allowing customers and third parties to create their own applications to enhance Grid Edge computing capabilities.
Emerging grid requirements—including electric vehicle support—demand a new level of distribution system management, which this technology can help enable.
Senior Vice President and President, Xylem Americas, Measurement and Control Solutions