Take a Proactive Approach to Balancing Your Grid Load
You have a good handle on your grid phase strategy—at least in theory. After all, there is plenty of documentation to show which meters map to which phase. But, the real world intervenes. A storm rolls through, and your team does what needs to be done to restore power quickly. Meters are swapped on the fly for good reasons, but the work order trail is missing. How can you verify the phases of your actual installations?
The Sensus phase detection application combines metrology, communications and analytics to determine the distribution phase of each meter on the grid. What’s more, the functionality is embedded in existing Sensus infrastructure—no additional hardware is required.
So stop guessing; start knowing. Update your documentation to accurately reflect the installations. Balance your grid load, proactively. You even get to choose the method that works best for you. Phase detection is available as a standalone Sensus Analytics application that you manage. Or opt for the Sensus Professional Services subscription model, and leave the reporting to us.
How it Works
Phase detection uses a time-synched signal to group meters that are then compared to a known reference meter. Sensus Analytics maps the data to the distribution system.
- Each meter receives a message at exactly the same time.
- Each meter then measures the time until the voltage crosses zero.
- Time measures should fall into one of three ranges (a, b, or c).
- Flexible meter selection strategies
- RF regions
- Substation feeder line
- Meter list
- Easy integration—CSV and REST API file formats
- Optimized for FlexNet® use—versions 2.x or newer
- Balanced time and network usage—passive and active modes
- No additional infrastructure required
Benefits to you
- Enables proactive mapping and transformer management
- Verifies meter restoration to the correct phases after network damage
- Eliminates cost of dispatching crews to verify phase
- Reinforces connectivity model for outage management systems
* Supported Meters:
- DT-23: iConA™ Gen 2 and Gen 4A
(FlexNet firmware version 22.214.171.124 – released 12/10/2010 – and later versions)
- DT-50: iConA Gen 3/4A/Stratus
(All FW versions)
- DT-83: iConA Gen 4/Stratus
(All FW versions)