Raleigh, NC - March 22, 2018
Water utilities around the world share the desire to conserve Earth’s most precious resource: water. Every day, including World Water Day, Sensus, a Xylem brand, works with utilities to provide solutions that aid conservation efforts while helping them become smarter about customers’ water usage.
In its 2006 paper on the global water supply, the World Bank Group reported that “the total cost to water utilities caused by non-revenue water can be conservatively estimated at $14 billion per year, with a third of it occurring in the developing world”.
Closer to home, the United States Environmental Protection Agency estimates that one trillion gallons of water is lost annually through water leaks in homes across the United States—the equivalent of the average annual water use in more than 11 million homes. Many utilities report as much as 20 percent to 30 percent non-revenue water annually.
Technologies, however, are making a difference in the management of water resources. For instance, the Sensus iPERL® smart water meter provides water flow data down to 0.11 gallons per minute which means accurate, timely water usage data that helps to detect leaks and improve operational efficiencies for utilities.
“The iPERL water meter picked up flow data we never had before,” said Amber Whisner, billing clerk, City of Dallas, Georgia. “The meters could register the smallest bit of water usage for activities like the flushing of toilets or the washing of hands.”
Additionally, the iPERL meter allows utilities to:
- Improve operational efficiency and customer service
- Reduce maintenance and cost
- Install meters horizontally, vertically or diagonally
- Prevent removal and tampering attempts to obtain free water
- Remotely manage and monitor meters and diagnose problems or issues
- Collect and log system and customer data
- Preserve energy and optimize power
“More than ever, utilities are seeking to conserve water and empower their customers to make smarter decisions about water usage,” said Sensus Global Director of Water Marketing Dan Pinney. “We’re proud to play a role in these efforts with technologies such as the iPERL meter, which gives utilities accurate, timely usage data to help them account for every drop.”
For utilities looking to improve their knowledge on World Water Day, Sensus provides comprehensive resources including white papers and webinars.
- Every day, including World Water Day, Sensus, a Xylem brand, works with utilities to provide solutions that aid conservation efforts.
- The iPERL smart water meter provides water flow data down to 0.11 gallons per minute.
- The iPERL also offers accurate, timely water usage data that helps to detect leaks and improve operational efficiencies for utilities.
The iPERL meters could register the smallest bit of water usage for activities like the flushing of toilets or the washing of hands.
City of Dallas, GA