RALEIGH, NC - November 9, 2021
Safety is always smart. The Sonix IQTM gas meter from Sensus, a Xylem brand, delivers innovative capabilities with pressure sensing built into the meter and automatic shutoff for enhanced safety. This compact, ultrasonic residential meter seamlessly aligns with a gas utility’s goals of safe, efficient and sustainable operations.
“We’ve seen immediate safety benefits such as low pressure alarms at residences that led us to create a regulator replacement program,” said Hohenwald’s Utility Director Randy Hinson. “With remote management and built-in pressure monitoring we have a better understanding of our system overall and the foundation that Sonix IQ provides for a safe and efficient smart utility network.”
Sensus has developed ultrasonic meters for more than 25 years and the Sonix IQ was built based on field experience from utilities. Sonix IQ helps gas utilities with:
- Smart, responsive safety features, including built-in edge intelligence that enables shut off in the event of high/low pressure, reverse flow, high temperature, air in the meter and high flow
- Efficient remote management, including an integrated radio and support for two-way communication when used with the FlexNet network
- Scalability, if greater capacity is needed the 425 Sonix IQ is a drop-in replacement for a 250 meter
“The Sonix IQ is half the size of a diaphragm meter and weighs only six pounds for ease of installation,” said Xylem Vice President of Product Management Laura Bednasz. “The meter’s robust capabilities clearly illustrate how we partner with utilities to shape product development and innovation.”
Learn more about smart gas technology in this video.
- The Sonix IQ residential gas meter delivers smart, responsive safety features, including built-in edge intelligence that enables shut off in the event of high/low pressure, reverse flow and more.
- Utilities can remotely manage their gas distribution system with the smart meter when used with the two-way FlexNet network.
- The Sonix IQ is compact, lightweight and scalable for ease of installation.
We’ve seen immediate safety benefits such as low pressure alarms at residences that led us to create a regulator replacement program.
Utility Director, City of Hohenwald, TN