Raleigh, NC - April 19, 2017
(Click to Tweet) – Whether dimming streetlights to save energy, creating customer portals to educate consumers about their usage or using advanced metering infrastructure (AMI) technology to collect consumption data remotely, public service providers are investing in smart infrastructure and setting an example of what Earth Day is all about. Sensus, a Xylem brand, is spearheading the transition to smart cities, providing solutions for water, electricity and gas that give utilities the ability to reduce their carbon footprint and make their customers smarter about consumption habits.
Advances pioneered by Sensus in smart infrastructure technology—combining smart metering, interconnected devices and Internet-of-Things (IoT) applications—have enabled new efficiencies and capabilities for utilities that allow them to reduce their environmental impact. For instance:
- The dimming feature in the Sensus VantagePoint™ Lighting Control Module allows utilities to save energy by dimming lights according to sunrise and sunset schedules.
- The Sensus AMI solution, which includes the FlexNet® communication system, allows utilities to collect data over a secure, two-way network, replacing manual meter reads and reducing the number of maintenance trucks in the field.
- A recently announced collaboration with PTC enables Sensus to deliver smart applications to municipalities using the ThingWorx® IoT platform to help them create more efficient and connected infrastructures.
Examples the many utilities relying on Sensus to aid their environmental efforts include:
- Berkeley County Water & Sanitation used the FlexNet system to move from manual to automatic meter reads with the push of a button, deriving knowledge that enabled its technicians to resolve issues with one visit instead of many.
- Washington Municipal Utilities replaced its aging water and electricity infrastructure with Sensus AMI technology, enabling its staff to better educate their customers about their usage.
- Alabama Power completed a beta trial and used the VantagePoint Lighting Control Solution to help conserve energy and increase efficiency.
For its continuing innovation, Sensus has been recognized with the “Best Smart Grid Solution” by municipal utility executives for three straight years during the Municipal Smart Grid Summit.
Sensus provides a host of resources for utilities seeking to improve their environmental literacy on Earth Day, including white papers, case studies and webinars.
- Advances pioneered by Sensus in smart infrastructure technology have enabled new efficiencies and capabilities for utilities that allow them to reduce their environmental impact.
- Sensus provides a host of resources on its website for utilities seeking to improve their environmental literacy, including white papers, case studies and webinars.